Friday, April 27, 2012

Spindle Shelf

A few weeks ago I scored some old spindles from a junkyard outdoor vintage boutique.  One of them became a shelf using a wooden picture from the thrift store that I painted over and distressed.
This is how it started out.  I didn't do a thing to the spindle except add this piece of hardware I had.  I sprayed the hardware with flat, white paint and nailed it to the spindle.
I decided to keep the picture hanger on the wood and added an old skeleton key.  It's a small shelf so I didn't want to put anything big on it.  After looking through my stash of junk vintage treasures, I pulled out some old inkwells I'd collected to use at my son's wedding last summer.
I printed out a vintage, French label, distressed it and applied it to one inkwell and draped a piece of an old necklace around the neck.  

The other inkwell got a vintage earring applied with E6000 glue and then I put an old, broken pearl necklace inside and left the clasp hanging out.





I think these are the perfect size for this tiny shelf which I hung on the wall in  my living room.

This Tuesday I had decided to take a day off from my two jobs and do nothing but CREATE.  I completed my repurposed house numbers , this shelf and bottles, and a few other projects which I'll be posting about soon.  In the meantime, here's a "peek" at one of the projects.
Any guesses??  I hope YOU are finding time to be creative this week -- for those of us who love to craft, days like this are welcome and restorative.


6 comments:

  1. I love pretty bottles and the way you display things. I think I learned about putting the pearls draped over a bottle from you! I have not been creative this week...maybe that's what's wrong with me! lol I just mentioned you on my blog! hope you can stop by soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Lauren. Bottles are such a nice decorating touch. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important to stretch our creative muscles! Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little shelf made with the architectural spindle. So cute.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an adorable little shelf...what a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! Love the ink bottle, the key is a wonderful touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!